Free Speech and Language Screenings are offered for children ages 3-6 in the following locations:
- At the office of Chesney Center Therapies (Please call for an appointment)
- At daycares and preschools (Please contact your child’s school director to schedule an appointment with us)
Speech Therapy Evaluations
Prior to beginning the start of therapy, a comprehensive communication evaluation is required. At Chesney Center Therapies, we provide the following types of evaluations:
- Speech Sound Production
- Speech Sound Production and Language Comprehension and Expression
- Speech Fluency
- Behavioral and Qualitative Analysis of Voice and Resonance
- Auditory Rehabilitation Status
- Reading and Language Comprehension
Individualized Speech & Language Therapy for Children
Once an evaluation is completed, an individualized treatment plan is developed based on those results. Therapy can range from one to four sessions per week with parents and caregivers as active participants in those therapy sessions. Did you know that research tells us that young children have about 12 hours in a day that they are active and learning. 12 hours X 7 days a week = 84 hours of learning in one week. One hour of therapy per week is a drop in the bucket! That is why we invite parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles and whoever else wants to attend into the therapy session to be an active part of the therapy process. Parents will leave with a home program that helps integrate weekly goals into those other 83 hours during their daily routines for maximum progress and the knowledge and confidence they need to carry out that home program.
Chesney Center Therapies offers a range of speech therapy services for children including, but not limited to the following:
- Articulation disorders
- Language delays and disorders
- Speech and language disorders related to frequent middle ear infections
- Feeding Therapy
- Intervention for children with Apraxia
- Procurement and use of a speech generating device
- Intervention for Selective Mutism
- Stuttering intervention
- Intervention for auditory processing disorders
- Auditory-Verbal therapy for children with hearing loss
- Voice therapy for children with vocal nodules
Services for Individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders
Chesney Center Therapies offers a range of clinical services for individuals with autism spectrum disorders, including screenings, evaluations, individualized treatment plans, and social groups. Parents and caregivers are encouraged to be active participants in each therapy session to learn techniques and strategies that will enhance their ability to interact and communicate with their child.
At Chesney Center Therapies, you will find therapists who are trained in the Greenspan Floortime Approach™ a type of child-centered play therapy that encourages parents and caregivers to follow their child’s lead and engage the child by entering into a shared world through play. Parents are taught to understand their child’s individual developmental and sensory differences and utilize techniques to address these differences to create purposeful communication and develop meaningful relationships.
Services for Adults
Chesney Center Therapies also offers intervention services to adults. We are able to treat individuals needing the following:
- Accent Modification/Reduction
- Auditory (Re)Habilitation for adults with hearing loss using hearing technology such as hearing aids or cochlear implants
- Stuttering Intervention
- Voice Therapy for adults with Spasmodic Dysphonia, Vocal Chord Paralysis, or Vocal Nodules
Chesney Center Therapies is currently the only clinic in Louisiana with Certified Auditory-Verbal Therapists trained to work with families of children and adults who are deaf/HOH, wear hearing technology, and choose Listening and Spoken Language as their preferred mode of communication. Call today to schedule an appointment!
© 2016 Chesney Center Therapies
5422 Superior Dr., Suite B Baton Rouge, LA 70816
Phone: 1 (225) 302-5030
Fax: 1 (225) 372-2604
Want to stay up to date on our current news? Subscribe to our newsletter.